Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Insights from Artist

"What is the first thing you do when you begin your `create' mode?"


Jeffrey Scott Holland from Louisville, KY answered:

For me the painting process usually consists of much pacing around naked and listening to the same CD on repeat, over and over and over (Psychedelic Furs, Hasil Adkins, Cat Power) for at least 1-2 hours before I even uncap a paint tube. I'm not actually thinking much about the painting during this time, I'm just getting myself into that trance-like "painting state". Once the moment arrives, I'm done pacing and work on the piece (usually standing) in a frenzy until it's completed, regardless of how long that takes. I rarely take more than 24 hours on any given piece, wall-size murals being the only exception.

I do a performance series called Dark Observatory where I turn a gallery or other venue into a temporary studio, and work on paintings in front of a live audience. (I keep my clothes on for those, but I do blast the Hasil Adkins CD at full volume.)

You can check out his cool website - read about his art projects and see some of his work here:

http://www.jeffreyscottholland.com/

Sample of his work on his website.

No comments:

 
*/ /* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */